Sunday, July 15, 2012

American Flag Wreath....easy and beautiful



When my husband's family began cleaning out his grandparent's estate, I was asked if I wanted his grandfather's flag. It was in such great condition, yet you could tell it had some age on it...I fell in love with it immediately.  The question was, what do I do with it?  I didn't want it to sit in a plastic bag in a closet...such a waste,  nor did I really want to have it displayed in a shadow box.  So I did what any loyal DIYer would do...I hit Pintrest for ideas!

Pintrest had a few images I thought were pretty, but not quite what I was looking for. However, I did take a few for inspiration and then used my own creative brain for the rest.  This was seriously THE easiest project I have ever done. All you need is the following:

Flag
Grapevine Wreath
Twine (I used Jute Twine because I had it on hand)
Tin Star (you can buy these at Hobby Lobby, Michael's etc.)
Spray Paint (for the star if you can not find one in the color you wold like)

I simply took the flag and folded the outside right edges so it was not quite at full size.  I then began draping it around the wreath in a manner that a majority of the blue/stars showed, and with the bottom of the flag wrapping through the wreath at a diagonal and pulled it through...yes, that simple.  I then tied the top (the top of your flag should have holes to loop through) to the grapevine with twine.  To finish off the look, I took a tin star I had on hand, spray painted it  Krylon Gloss Red, and once it dried, I tied to around the outside of the flag. 



TA-DA...love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment