Sunday, October 28, 2012

Falling In Love With Ms. Mustard Seed's Milk Paint!


I recently had my first experience with Ms. Mustard Seed's milk paint and it was a total success! I pickup up this vanity that was an aged bright white...you know that color...that white that has a yellowed tint...ugh.  I wanted to play with some different looks and textures, so I ventured out on this one and hoped for the best. Read below for a step by step playbook of this refunked beauty.

1. The VERY BEST thing about CeCe and Ms. Mustard Seed's paints is that there is NO SANDING OR PRIMING...you just start painting!  So, I just jumped right in and dry brushed a think coat of  CeCe Caldwell's Chalk and Clay paint in Young Kansas Wheat. I did this because I did not want all that bright white as a dominate undertone.  WARNING...the chalk paint underneath the milk paint does take away the natural chippiness effect of the milk paint!! So, do not do this if you want the milk paint to chip itself!!

2.  I think mixed up 1 cup of Miss Mustard Seed's milk paint in Kitchen Scale.  I applied two coats, allowing 1 hour drying time in between. 

3. I then took a damp rag and began distressing it.  I also used a sanding block very heavy handed to get the desired look I wanted around the edges and across the top.  I wanted to dry brush strokes to pop through...that was intentional.

4.  Finally, I waxed the entire vanity with CeCe Caldwell's Clear Wax, using my wax brush to really work it into the paint.

I used clear knobs to really compliment the colors in the vanity, versus using colored ones that would compete with them.

Up next...a blog on using chalk paint versus milk paint...both are GREAT, but very different! :)

Happy Painting ya'll!





No comments:

Post a Comment