Saturday, May 26, 2012

Just for my girls...vintage dresser re-do


As many of you know, we've been redoing our girl's room in preparation for our new bundle of joy. We needed a tall dresser and I have been on the search for months. I'd find one and think "Oh! This is the one", but then that feeling would pass and onto a booth it would go.  Then I ran across this one at a local roadside antique store and I knew it was perfect for what we needed...vintage  curves, classic lines, large drawers, and drawers that do not have pulls-they are made to simply pull open from the bottom of each drawer.  SOLD! Loaded it up and off we went.

The dresser started out a really dark stained color, and I really wanted that to show through, so I did not prime it.  I lightly sanded it with my electric sander, then I painted the body of the piece with CeCe Caldwell's Vintage White. On the drawers, the turquoise I normally use was a little too dark to match the girl's fabric, so I took a disposable quart-size paint bucket and mixed 2 cups of CeCe's Santa Fe Turquoise paint with 1/2 cup of water, then mixed together well inside the bucket.  It does become watery, but not so much so that you have runs, etc. That is the nice part about CeCe's being so thick to begin with.  I rolled this mix onto the drawers in two thin coats. I then sanded the body and drawers by hand so I could control the amount of distressing.  This dresser has some nice vintage designs, and I wanted to highlight those, not blend them, so I took the turquoise paint mixture and painted in the lines of the design on the top and sides of the dresser, then lightly hand sanded around those lines as well. Use your thumb or forefinger and a small piece of sand paper to get inside those delicate lines. I then waxed the entire piece with clear wax and buffed it out once the wax had time to cure.  Here she is...I love it and more importantly, so do the girls.


The funniest part is Kinsley (our oldest) says "Mom, why do you keep painting stuff then take all the paint off?"  I had to laugh out loud because I am sure that is confusing to her...it never occurred to me she might not understand what I do! I promised her the next one I do for her, I will not distress to which she replied "Ok, that would be great!" so I guess I will be doing another one down the road for my big girl :)

I know it seems I use a lot of turquoise and white, but that is what is "big" right now in my area and what sells best for me. Our girl's room is zebra/white/turquoise/light pink (yes, I did let them choose it....Lord help me), so this was the perfect piece to match their decor without going too "over the top." I wanted a piece that would grow with them and not ever go out of style as zebra, prints, etc. tend to do.  Here is another picture in better light.



To me, this is the best part of chalk paint...you can add water to soften colors, mix colors to create your own custom hue, or change the entire color by covering with wax, dark wax, etc. I have heard over and over "why pay so much for paint?" as people shake their heads and I just laugh and tell them "TRY IT ONCE and you'll know!" For someone like me who uses it all day, every day, it is worth the investment. 

I hope everyone has a great week holiday weekend and takes time to thank, hug, and remember a solider...they give all so we can post freely, speak freely, and live freely. God Bless!!




No comments:

Post a Comment